You have just completed a long essay for your college competition. There is only 5 minutes left to submit it. You close the document and open the test website in order to attach your word document. You suddenly realise you haven’t written your name in the word file. You minimize the browser window, open the word file. The word document isn’t opening and showing an error. You do not know what is going on. It was working fine just a few seconds ago.
You get the following error: “We’re sorry. We can’t open the filename.docx because we found a problem with its contents.”
“Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt”.
This can happen when your word document is corrupted.
Reasons for Word document corruption
- If Microsoft Word crashes or freezes right in the middle of saving your file, it can corrupt the file by leaving it partially written.
- If you are downloading a document from the internet, files can get corrupted when the connection goes down or you quit your Web browser before saving the file.
- If your computer loses power or Word crashes even as you are saving it, your file can be corrupted.
- Files can also be damaged due to presence of bad sectors on the hard drive or other storage media.
- Viruses and other malware can cause Word file corruption.
How to repair corrupted Word documents
Now that we are aware of the reasons behind Word corruption, let us explore solutions to this problem.
- Manual method – Save your file in .html format
- Click on your corrupted Word file in Windows Explorer.
- Now click on View tab in the top portion of explorer.
- Under View tab, make sure File name extensions has a tick mark against it.
- Now copy the corrupt Word file and place it on the desktop or any other folder. Let’s say the name of the corrupt Word file is filename.docx.
- Rename the copied file as filename.zip.
- If you have Winzip, WinRar or any other compression software installed on your system, open filename.zip using it.
- Once it is open, you can see a file named document.xml.
- Just rename it to document.html.
- Double click on the document.html file. It will open via Google Chrome or your default Web browser.
- Once the file is open, you can see contents of the corrupt Word file in the browser window.
- You can copy the content to a new Word file and save it using a different file name.
- Using Remo Repair Word
You can use Remo Repair Word software for fixing corrupt docx files. The software can repair and recover all the text, formatting, OLE objects, images, shapes and other objects from damaged Word documents.
If you are stuck on how to fix unresponsive Microsoft word document, do not worry. Remo Repair Word software can easily recover content from a corrupt doc file, copy it to a healthy new file, all the while not affecting your original file.
Once the file repair is complete, you have the option of previewing the file before saving it to a destination folder of your choice.